There are many technologies and techniques available to optimize SharePoint Server 2013 performance. In a given environment, some or all of these techniques may apply.
Using BranchCache to optimize WAN performance
BranchCache is a feature of the Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows Server 2012 operating systems that caches content from file and web servers on a wide area network (WAN) on computers at a local branch office. In a geographically distributed SharePoint Server 2013 environment, BranchCache can optimize WAN performance by caching large files that users download from SharePoint Server 2013.
After you install and configure BranchCache, a computer on the branch office network caches files that branch office users download from SharePoint Server 2013. BranchCache also stores file version metadata when the following Office 2013 applications access files:
- OneDrive for Business
Every time a branch office user requests a cached file from SharePoint Server 2013, BranchCache checks to see if a more recent file exists on the server. If not, BranchCache will serve the cached version of the file.
For more information about BranchCache, see the following resources:
- BranchCache Resource Center on TechNet
- BranchCache Overview for Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012
- BranchCache Overview for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2
- BranchCache Deployment Guide for Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012
- BranchCache Deployment Guide for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2
Configuring BranchCache for use with SharePoint Server 2013
This section describes how to install and configure BranchCache for use with SharePoint Server 2013.
- Verify that you have the following memberships:
- securityadmin fixed server role on the SQL Server instance.
- db_owner fixed database role on all databases that are to be updated.
- You must be logged in as a farm administrator to enable BranchCache for SharePoint Server 2013.
- You must be logged in as a domain administrator or local computer administrator to install and enable BranchCache on a Windows 7 or Windows Server computer.
- Deploy BranchCache on each web server in your SharePoint Server 2013 farm by following the instructions in the following topics:
- For Windows Server 2012, see Install Content Servers that Use the BranchCache Feature.
- For Windows Server 2008 R2, see Install content servers that use the BranchCache feature.
3. Deploy BranchCache in your branch office network environment by following the instructions in the following topics:
- For Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012, see the BranchCache Deployment Guide.
- For Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2, see the BranchCache Deployment Guide
4. If you have deployed BranchCache in Distributed mode, and the AuthNoEncap policy is enabled in your environment, you must install the update described in Performance issue when you enable the AuthNoEncap policy to handle large payloads in a network environment in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2 on all Windows 7 client computers.
After you have installed and configured BranchCache in the operating system of each web server in your SharePoint Server 2013 farm and each computer in your branch office, content in SharePoint Server 2013 will be cached automatically, and no further configuration is required.